Monday 17 September 2007

I left my camera at home!

Boo!

Yesterday I took Smem to the first Team Chase of the season, the Belvoir at Garthorpe near Melton Mowbray. No there was no bad language but we did arrive a bit late and the rest of the team had already started walking the course so I went round with her. OK I'm really really unfit and it was quite a warm day so by the end I was a bit puffed to say the least.

The course was lovely. 23 fences, mainly hedges but with some more tricky post and rails, ditches, hanging logs and a lovely water obstacle with resident ducks! All set in the most beautiful rolling Leicestershire countryside.

Unfotunately we were positively well-prepared compared with another team member who shall remain nameless. Teenagers. What can you do with them? She'd managed to leave her bridle at home! Did we have a spare? Did we fairycakes! Fortunately some kind soul lent her a large bridle. After quite a bit of adjustment and a knot in the throat lash, and nicking Ramin's martingale, they were ready to go.

Poor Ramin, not even a neckstrap to hold onto. Never mind, that's what manes are for. I always feel quite bad at team chases . I'm the only one who doesn't get nervous because I'm not a parent. I don't mind ending up with bruises though as I feel I should provide support by letting the other mums grab my arm when they get really worried.

Woo was the pacemaker. Now Woo gets a bit upset if anyone overtakes him. Charlie B was second. Charlie is an ex racehorse and loves to race but his rider had been given strict instructions NOT to overtake Woo but to ride in huge circles if necessary. Zoy came third as, although she loves to race she's got really good brakes but she's not really bold enough (yet) to lead the team. And bringing up the rear was dependable Ramin. Not a very speedy chap and the smallest at only 14.2.

The girls were brilliant! We fully expected that Woo would set a cracking pace and make a real race out of it. Fortunately they all looked after each other really well, making sure that they all stayed fairly close together. Even Charlie was under control! He stayed behind Woo like a little lamb.

In the event, the team "Blink and U've missed Em" were too fast for the optimum time, but still managed to come 7th out of 32 teams.

Brilliant.

Sadly next week's team chase has been cancelled because of the Foot and Mouth. Otherwise I'd say those girls were really on a roll!

3 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Ooh, resident ducks! I wouldn't want to be the ducks. lol

Unknown said...

You're a wonderful Aunty you know!!!

ra said...

It's OK, they were only rubber decoy ducks. I think!