Sunday 17 June 2007

What a busy day!

I'm shattered!

Today I have mainly been taking part in horsey pursuits. And last night too. Smem was taking part in a One Day Event today somewhere in South Warwickshire so an early start was in order. We had to leave at 7:30 am. On a Sunday!

So last night, nice Auntie that I am, I offered to plait Zoyzie's mane so we could have a lie in til 6. I must say it was one of my best efforts recently. I have persuaded them to give up the rubber bands and do it properly and sew them in. Not only do they look neater but you can do them the night before without fear that one shake of the head (and believe me, this has happened) and the whole lot fly out. Unfortunately this is not a skill that is taught any more and said neice can't sew to save her life! What do they teach them at school these days? Anyway, just to show off my handiwork I thought I'd do the before and after shots.

Before. Note the flowing locks. Also note the various bits of horse apparel liberally scattered around waiting to be washed. Also bit of string holding head collar together. Zoyzie is vandal and manages to break tack with infuriating regularity. Bad Bad Horsey!








We tried many times to get a good after shot of the incredibly neat plaits. Not always altogether successfully. Apparently it was the camera misbehaving!





Eventually she was 'persuaded' into remaining in one place long enough to get a good head and neck shot. And if you're wondering why her forelock (fringey bit) wasn't plaited, no, it's not a fashion statement. According to Smem, having her forelock plaited for too long gives Zoyzie a headache so we always have to leave it until she's about to perform.




And I'm daft enough to humour her!



Anyway, today was a bit of a mixed bag one way and another. They did a lovely dressage test, the show jumping was a bit variable and after an initial hickup at the first fence, they sped around the cross country beautifully. It WAS only their second One Day Event together so we came home happy. After all, it's a steep learning curve for both of them!


Oh, and there's a new addition to the family. Minnie Mouse. Her mummy died shortly after giving birth so Smem has taken on the role. Unfortunately, she's not quite sure where milk comes from. Wellies perhaps? (That's the top of my wellie if you're wondering.) Another one to add to Smem's extensive calf collection.





1 comment:

ra said...

ah what a little cutie, and Zoya looks lovely with her hair up! Good news about the cross country. Wll done to both of them!